Kidneys remove waste materials from blood and regulate the quantity of water in one’s body. They produce hormones required for producing red blood cells, promoting bone health, and regulating blood pressure. Kidney diseases affect the functions of kidneys and they create several other health concerns in human body. For example, diabetes, blood pressure, and oral health disorders.
It is important for kidney patients to take care of their overall health including their oral health. This blog will shedlight on the subject why oral health becomes important for kidney patients as well as how kidney patients should care for their oral health.
Kidney diseases can lead to several oral health disorders. Dry mouth, bad breathe because of a metabolic issues that produces chemicals, tooth decay, and gum diseases like gingivitis. If somebody has had a kidney transplant, that person needs to be extra careful of their oral health because kidney transplants can result in fungal infection causing white patches, sores, enlarged gums, and oral cancer.
Here are five ways to help you protect your oral health from your kidney diseases:
1. If you smoke, you should stop smoking immediately because smoking increases the chances of heart attack in kidney patients.
2. You should brush your teeth at least twice a day after meals. If possible, you should brush them after your lunch too.
3. Brush your teeth gently and ensure to brush your tongue. The idea of brushing your tongue may surprise you but this is important because this will remove bacteria from your tongue, or they can go to your stomach with the foods you eat or beverage you drink.
4. Floss your teeth before going to bed at nights. You may experience bleeding for first two to three times, but it is natural.
5. Maintain a healthy diet and gargle mouthwash after taking any food or beverages.
Moreover, you should visit your dentist regularly for oral health check-up. The dentist will examine your teeth and gums and provide you with the right reccomendations.