Do you grind your teeth while sleeping? You may say no, even though you do it, because like most people, you may not know you grind your teeth. This may seem surprising, but it is a fact that most people never know they grind their teeth until somebody tells them. However, the good news is, you will be able to identify the problem and deal with it effectively after reading this blog.
Symptoms of Teeth Grinding
- Facial pain
- Pain or stiffness in the jaw joint
- Disrupted sleep
- Broken teeth or fillings
- Worn-down teeth
- Sensitive teeth
Reasons behind Teeth Grinding
- Missing or crooked teeth
- Abnormal bite
- Aggressive, competitive, or hyperactive
- Health disorders like dementia,epilepsy, and ADHD
- Physical, psychological, and genetic factors
Complications caused by Teeth Clenching
- Severe jaw and facial pain
- Clicking sound while opening and closing your mouth
How to Fix Teeth Grinding
- Avoid caffeine-based foods& beverages
- Drink plenty of water.
- Get facial massages and do facial exercises.
- Apply a warm towel on your jaws before going to bed. This will relax your jaw muscles.
- Meet your Surrey Dentist for a customized mouth guard. You will have to put on the mouth guard before going to bed.
- Avoid situations that give you stress and anxiety, because they not only cause teeth grinding, but also reduce the quality of your life.
These suggestions are also helpful in dealing with awake teeth grinding, which is mainly caused by stress and anxiety. If you notice any of these mentioned symptoms, you should not delay in contacting your dentist in Surrey to have your teeth examined and get the best treatment for your suffering.